The Mexico Casino Royale attack left 52 dead

The Mexico Casino Royale attack left 52 dead

The Casino Royale in Monterrey, Mexico, was the target of a band of criminals who left 52 customers dead as they robbed the property in 2011. Police rounded up most of the gang and sent them to prison, where one member just committed suicide.

The death of “El Colitas” was reported by the state media. He was being held at the Federal Center for Social Reintegration Number 14 for a long list of crimes.

The 29-year-old was found hanging in his cell with wounds to his arms by a guard, according to the media. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful. One of the deadliest gangs in Mexico was led by Torres Bautista.

The Public Ministry agents found his glasses with blood on them at the scene. They believed that he tried to kill himself by slitting his wrists. According to unofficial sources, investigators believe that Torres Bautista took a piece of his bedsheet and hanged himself because he didn’t get the results he wanted quickly enough.

According to the investigation, Torres Bautista drank controlled medication to treat depression and anxiety. The amount of food he may have eaten before his death hasn’t been released by authorities.

The Casino Royale attack took place on August 25, 2011. A group of armed men broke into the property and began attacking other people. They stole things and set the place on fire. During the chaos, they threw live grenades.

One of the primary instigators of the attack was Torres Bautista. He started shooting his rifle as soon as he entered, and then took the valuables of the 200 people who were in the place.

Police arrested 25 men during the investigations. It is thought that more may have participated.

The leader of the Los Zetas cell was 18 years old at the time. One of the most marginalized regions of Monterrey was where he and his gang operated. They committed at least 50 more crimes, including kidnappings and robberies, according to a media outlet.

Emergency exits were locked and people were trampled as a result of the attack. Almost all of the victims suffocated to death from carbon monoxide poisoning, some hiding in bathroom and offices after trying to escape from the attackers.

The Casino Royale began to disappear in March of last year. Construction crews arrived at the property on March 3. The casino was closed on the day of the attack.

It took six months for the demolition to be completed. The building was damaged due to the attack and subsequent neglect.

Many people wanted the building to remain for a while. The preservation of the casino was fought for by the families of the victims. As a memorial, it served as a reminder that authorities needed to keep searching for those involved in the attack. However, their voices were not heard.


Jess Rafael Torres Bautista, a member of the criminal group Las Zetas, who participated in the 2011 Casino Royale attack in Monterrey, Mexico, committed suicide in his jail cell. The 29-year-old was serving time at the Federal Center for Social Reintegration (Cefereso) Number 14 for a seemingly endless list of crimes. Torres Bautista was one of the primary instigators in the attack.